Friday, January 3, 2014

Intentions VS Resolutions




After much thought, I decided verses making Resolutions for 2014, I would rather make Intentions.

If we literally look at the definition of the words themselves, we can see how this seems like a better choice.

Resolution:
: the act of finding an answer or solution to a conflict, problem, etc. : the act of resolving something
: an answer or solution to something
: the ability of a device to show an image clearly and with a lot of detail

Intention:
: the thing that you plan to do or achieve : an aim or purpose

I personally feel that an Intention, a plan...a Goal is something better to aim for.  Verses making a Resolution which I could ultimately fail at.

I actually had this discussion  with one of my close friends last night...and he actually brought up a good point. When I asked him if he was making a New Years Resolution,he said no. His Resolution was not to make Resolutions...which is an Oxymoronic...and entertaining.

He continued on saying, everyone is all about upgrades and improving, and having the best in things...why not have that or be that as a person. He didn't really need to go on much further.

Playing off of his idea tho, if you want to be a healthier you don't have to give up sweets or wheat or coffee. Or have to go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week..but rather just make the modifications in your routine, and if you are like me, research, plan and adjust.Verses, starting off right at the beginning of I CAN NOT have this or I HAVE TO DO this. If you do this then as my friend put it "Just setting yourself up to Fail"...and the pessimist in me response to that is Life does that to you anyways...why do it to yourself. 

For example, I love coffee...and during the holiday especially when I was at work...totally gave into my caffeine fiend and visited the Starbucks, Mad Coffee Fix, and 6 to 5 deli by my work for espresso coffee drinks...once maybe even two times a day (pending on my day and how tired I was, as well as how many gift cards I got). I need to cut back my intake off coffee...and espresso drinks are pretty pricey. Especially if you get them on a regular basis (3 to 5 times a week), which I'm trying to save money.

So my intention when it comes to caffeine and me, is I want to be nicer to my body and my wallet. I will still have my espresso coffee drink as a treat, but verses it several times a week. Perhaps just once a week...and if I need coffee...cause you know..that shit can be addicting and all. I will drink regular coffee...and considering work has a coffee pot and really an espresso machine, I just have to bring my own milk and supply my own coffee beans. I can then cover two birds with one stone...still have my coffee...while saving money. And all it requires is me making a little more conscious effort.

It's kinda crazy to think, that we prefer to have the instant gratification of something, verses putting in the effort or energy for it. I'm a huge culprit of it, but I'm slowly starting to realize. That you can save alot of money when you do it yourself...and you help improve your character.

Thus, I do have several intentions for 2014...but they are a daily thing. I wake up in the morning and make one intention, similar to how you do when you enter your space on the yoga mat. And as long as I make forth the effort for that intention for the day...until the next. I have done something good, and improved myself just a little bit more.

"None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are"
Anne Rice The Vampire Lestat


No comments:

Post a Comment