Thursday, February 15, 2018

Helping the Planet one bag at a time




So California passed the no plastic bag law in 2014 was in effect for a short time frame in in 2015 and then stopped. Was put back on to the 2016 ballot and passed again, and in full effect in 2017.

So it is normal not to either be willing to pay anywhere from 5 cents to 20 cents for a bag, paper or plastic or to carry in purchases plastic or cloth bags when shopping. I have a small collection of various materials, sizes from all different places.

My boyfriend is currently traveling for work, so pretty much everywhere he has stopped and found a bag, he buys it for me. I dont know if he thinks I am a bag lady!

But this law forces people to have to be more mindful of the trash they are putting out into the environment, which is why I started to look for alternatives to other ways of helping the planet. I do use alot of plastic/tupper wear at home for left overs and carrying items verses to go boxes. I try to only use regular plates, tho on the rare occasion I will use a paper plate.

I have even gone as far as getting reusable ziplock style bags in order to carry smaller things (when a baggie takes up less space).
example of this is the picture below:

EZ Seal Resuable Bag: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NXVJ7M

I am a hiker, I am currently part taking in the 5 peak challenge here in San Diego as a personal goal. I ideally like to finish them all up before Spring, I wont doubt I will do them all again with the boyfriend when he is home. But for now it's just me and my dog, occasionally a friend and their pup or child will join us. But it is definitely a great feeling to be out on the trails.

Hence it's important to take supplies, water, ear buds for music if you are alone and snacks for the peak when you take a moment to catch your breath, drink water. I carry a small back pack, so I like to try to conserve space as well as be easy on my shoulders. 

This is why I really have been enjoying using the EZ Seal reusable bags. I carry my dried fruit and nuts in it when hiking, I carry carrots for my hummus at work. And I use them about anytime I need a ziplock. They are easy to clean, warm water and soap. I have a pack of 6 and have had them for 2 weeks already. I dont see any need to purchase sandwich size or snack size ziplocks because they work better.

Every little step of making less trash, is one step to having a better life for the future of our planet.



No comments:

Post a Comment