Monday, February 21, 2011

ELF Mineral EyeShadows

A little while ago I received a bunch of ELF's Mineral Eyeshadows from a fellow YouTuber (who actually asked to remain nameless). She had sent them to me because she had purchased the entire collection of Minerals (when they were having their 50% off sale). She went through most of them and kept only a few (mostly neutrals that she felt she would actually use).
Thus I received an email after I had put up a review on an ELF product from her and it lead to me receiving these products. Which of course I am very grateful for (as many had only been swatched, some not even opened). I went through the various colors, swatching to see which ones would be my favorite.

I personally turned around and sent out about 6 colors to a different, younger YouTuber so that she could try them out as well. Since I knew she wanted to try out ELF products but didn't that the funds to do so.

Anyways after my long winded story, I wanted to share some swatches of the various colors and some first thoughts on them.

I have used these quite a few times since I received them, the purples I used in a Budget Beauties look for this month on my YouTube channel. So far so good for pigmentation and for wearablity...though with these you should use a pretty good base...as they will last longer.

**My biggest issue with ELF when it comes to these Mineral shadows is they have NO description of the various colors. Literally, just a picture for a customer to look at (which we all know that pictures are at times deceiving). Thus for my descriptions I can only go off of what I perceive of the color..so I tried as best to describe it.**

*These products were swatched both Dry on ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk. The top is the ELF Primer the bottom is the NYX Eye Pencil.**

The Mattes

According to the ELF UK website (where it is not mentioned on the US version) "All our Mineral Eyeshadows are shimmery with the exception of 'Seductive', 'Partier', 'Temptress', 'Innocent' and 'Enchanting' which are matte".
I wish they would have this statement on the US ELF website...however it does help those who are looking to try out the Mattes...or even stay away from them.

Photobucket
Swatches: Left: Enchanting, Right: Seductive

Photobucket
Enchanting: a light matte brown (khaki brown) though its more noticeable of a brown if it is on a white base. It looks more neutral beige/pink on just a primer

This color would be good to use as a blending color to where the crease color meets the highlight color. Or an all over the eye color...like a base eyeshadow that other colors could be put on.

Photobucket
Seductive: a matte Black (though its very light especially when it is blended out). It contains small flecks of silver sparkle in it (again more noticeable on a white base).

This color is best as a crease color...to help darken or smoke out a look. Also could be used on the waterline to help set any cream or pencil that is placed in that location. You will be able to get the most dark color payout for this shadow by placing it on top of a dark (ie Black) base.

Photobucket

Thoughts of ELF's Matte Shadows (that I own):
I think ELF attemption of matte mineral shadows are going in the right direction...however for the color to really pop I had to use a white base. And I don't think someone will always want to use a white base under their shadows (especially if they are wanting to put a shimmer on their lid). If somehow ELF could make their mattes pop a bit more I would be happy to add them to my collection...but for now. I'm content with the two that I have...and trying to figure out ways and looks to make them really stand out.
Definitely products that you have to build up to use them to their full potential.

Recommended Colors: None of the Mattes...spend your money else where

The Purples Kinda

Photobucket
Swatched: Left: Socialite, Middle: Royal, Right: Girly

Photobucket
Girly: Lilac/pink color with a little bit of shimmer (the shimmer is a light pink color to it). Blended out this color takes on a slightly iridescent lilac pearl

This color makes a good Highlight color or inner tear duct (eye brightener).
Photobucket
Royal: dark purple grey with a slight undertone of a grey. Tons of shimmer all throughout this shadow, it being purple shimmer and reflects.

This color is a pretty all over lid color or even a good crease color (pending on the look that you are trying to do). If this color is applied Wet or on top of a purple/dark base the metallic undertone really pops.

Photobucket
Socialite: One of the interesting colors from the entire batch I have...it's a gunmetal grey with lots of shimmer (the shimmer is a combination of a silver and grey). On a white base this color has more of a rusted metal payout.

Another pretty color to use on the lid or blended into the crease.

Photobucket

Thoughts of ELF's Purple Shadows (that I own):
First, I categorize Socialite in the purple category because I think the color actually looks pretty swatched with Royal and Girly. But besides that the color Royal itself is a purple that when foiled is quite metallic and it seemed appropriate to have another metallic color within this swatch (family). All three of these colors together would actually make very pretty look...perhaps when I have some more time to play with my minerals I will do so.
Overall color payout and pigmentation for these colors is quite good.

Recommended Colors: Royal and Girly

The Neutral Metals

Photobucket
Swatches: Left: Sassy, Middle: Confident, Right: Golden

Photobucket
Golden: pretty gold with tons of shimmer (shimmer is of course gold). When this color is applied over a white base its a darker golden color, with a slight hint of copper coloring.

Gorgerous color to use as a lid, inner tear duct (eye brightener) or lower lash line. Also would be very pretty turned into a liner.

Photobucket
Confident: a darker brown...reminding me of bit of a walnut shell with a ton of shimmer (the shimmer is more copperish coloring).

A pretty crease color...perhaps even lid (for a darker brown smokey look)

Photobucket
Sassy: Rustic copper color with a TON of shimmer (the shimmer is more golden color). The color itself reminds me of a brand new penny.

Pretty lid color or perhaps applied wet as a liner would make green or hazel eyes POP!

Photobucket

Thoughts of ELF's Neutral Shadows (that I own):
I actually really like these three shadows in particular...and I'm normally a color lover girl. I think these shadows are a must have in mineral colors...if you are going to go with ELF minerals. The Golden can be worn all by itself with a funky black winged liner for something fun. While putting all three of these colors together would be a pretty metallic wearable everyday look...these colors remind me alot of the colors offered in the Urban Decay's Naked Palette.
Using NYX Yogurt Jumbo Eye Pencil under these shadows would be a great way to make the shadows really stand out...and keep with the neutral look.

Recommended colors: All three...Golden, Confident, Sassy

The Earthy Metals

Photobucket
Swatched: Left: Caffeinated, Middle: Wild, Right: Earthy


Photobucket
Earthy: Olive green color with a shimmery golden undertone. Reminds me alot of Golden Olive by MAC

Beautiful color to be used as a lid color, liner, and blended into the crease

Photobucket
Wild: chocolate brown with shimmer (golden shimmer). This color had better pigmentation and color payout over the white base..as it made it look darker brown.

This color would be good to use into the crease...or if you have a neutral look to add a little more depth to the inner v of the crease.

Photobucket
Caffeinated: darker gold with tons of golden shimmer. It reminds me of an antiqued gold.

Another pretty lid or liner color.

Photobucket

Thoughts of ELF's Earthy Shadows (that I own):
I think these Earthy Metal colors are pretty..good especially if you like the darker neutrals or something in the browns/green family. Wild is the color that is closest to a matte dark brown that ELF has, pending on how much you pack on and blend I could see it falling into a matte category. Caffienated and Earthy are definite colors to get...especially if you are looking for a dupe to MAC's Golden Olive.

Recommended Colors: Caffienated and Earthy

Final Thoughts

I have read that alot of people compare these mineral shadows to Bare Essential shadows (which I do have some now...so I will test that theory out). But considering I am a mineral shadow lover and have quite a few different brands...I feel I can give an honest opinion in regards to these shadows.

I think while ELF is trying to come up with some affordable mineral shadows...I do think they need to go back to the drawing board at least when it comes to the Matte color choices. Most of the other shadows have tons of shimmer in them...which people have complained are the only things that stay after wearing these shadows for the day.

So far in the time frame that I have played with these shadows I have had a tiny bit of creasing...in the normal spot for me that always happens (if shadows are going to crease...inner crease just above my lid by my inner tear duct). I am going to continue to try these shadows out to give a final overall review of the products.

But just from the time frame of using them now...they are not bad. If you are new to mineral make up (IE wanting to play with loose shadows) I would recommend to try these out as learning on since they are affordable and can last a long time (quantity) if you are not wanting to spend alot of money.




No comments:

Post a Comment