Tuesday, July 12, 2011

High Voltage: Alter Ego it is

If you have a liking to smaller mineral companies like me, then you will love this blog post!! Well that is if you are a ligloss junkie (as many of my fellow make up addicts are). Now my personal collection of lipgloss is pretty big, so I have been really trying not to add to it. And if I do it has to be within reason.

Thus I decided it was time to try out High Voltage Cosmetics lip products, as so far I love their mineral eye shadows.

High Voltage as a total of four different types of lip products, Amplified Lip Powders, Lip Candy, Lip Whips and Amp'd Up Lip Gloss. So I placed an order for some full size shadows, shadow primer and an Amp'd Up Lip Gloss.

Photobucket
High Voltage Amp'D Up Lip Gloss in Alter Ego
Natural Lighting

Now this lip gloss is extremely unique from any other lip gloss currently in my collection, not only by actual packaging. As this lip gloss is in a pot form (the rest of my glosses are either with doe foot applicators or squeezey tubes). But the consistancy of the gloss and color pay out are quite unique as well.

Photobucket
Natural Lighting

According to the website "Amp'd Up Gloss's are all natural highly pigmented smooth,Creamy,hydrating,non greasy lip products that are in between a gloss and a balm. Helps relieve cracked and chapped Lips and makes your lips beautiful. All Amp'd Up Glosses come in a 5 ML Jar with 4 ML Of Product.These come unscented and the natural smell of the shea butter is hardly noticeable. A lip brush is encouraged"

The full size pot of lip gloss is available for $6.50, and High Voltage now does sample sizes of their lip products, which come in a clamshell packaging that runs $1.75. I'm not certain of the exact amount of product put into the sample size, though I understand that it can get at least 5-7 uses.

Photobucket
With Flash

I would describe this color as a mauvey purple/pink that has a hint of a blue/green undertones. I didn't even realize it at the time that I order this, but it does bare similar color qualities as my Mac Show Orchid Amplified Lipstick. Apparently I'm unintentionally attracted to fuchsia colors, though with my current hair coloring it is quite flattering.
Honestly what caught my eye is the fact that it was a darker hue and I just loved the name!

According to the site "Alter Ego is a Rosey Red/pink with a slight duochrome", which I can see how it does have the dusty rose color. However, pending on the pigmentation of your lips as well as skintone, I do believe the color changes just slightly.

Swatch

Natural Lighting
Photobucket

In the sunlight on my NC25 (olive skintone) I notice it has more of a purple than pink hue. Keep in mind this is one layer of swatching the product on my skin. I can imagine going over the skin a few more times for the layering effect to get a darker purple.

With flash
Photobucket

With the flash on you can see the Duochrome which to my eyes has a blue/green undertone. I believe that is what makes the color lean more to a fuchsia pink/purple verses a red/pink.

Photobucket
Applied two layers with lip brush

I do agree with the website stating the best way to apply this product is with a lip brush. True it is possible to use your finger, however the texture of the lipgloss is thick (similar to a lipstick).

A huge point I want to make is that this gloss is not sticky or super greasy. I will never have to worry about my hair getting stuck in it nor will it slide off my lips. Quite honestly it reminds me of a lipstick, which I don't really mind. The duochrome gives it that hint of shine that would define it as a lipgloss.

Photobucket
Me wearing Alter Ego

Recommendations for those to rock this color:
I think anyone of any skin tone could rock this vampy yet sexy color. Those who have fairer skin do be aware that people would consider you gothic for wearing this color during the day. I personally think having darker hair compliments this lip color well, but then again I could be pretty biased.

Photobucket

Overall impression of High Voltage Amp'D Up Lip Gloss:
I think this gloss is interesting addition to any make up lovers collection. I personally am quite satisfied with the color, quality of the product. I'm going to give the product a bit of a test run to give a final official review of it later on next month.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment